The Windports, The turbine effect windmill
A bit of history?
Since 1998, Optilog and its affiliated companies have invested intensively in research and development in order to design a new model, even more efficient that the previous line of turbine windmills.
After more than four years of extensive research and development work, and with the collaboration of the N.R.C. (National Research council of Canada), Optilog ran extensive wind tunnel tests in October of 2000 on a new model of turbine windmill, the WindPorts. Furthermore, this unit got perfected, thanks to intensive modeling works using the C.F.D. methodology (Computerized fluid design). This revolutionized unit has been already patented, and 5, 10 and 20kW units are installed or been manufactured around the world.
Several of the previous units have been installed around the world, especially in Brazil, the Netherlands and Quebec. We even offer to those long time users to benefit from the latest developments that the WindPorts offers.
Since the end of 1999, we have started the set-up of a manufacturing facility for the WindPorts units in the province of Quebec.
The WindPorts is now the only windmill functioning with turbine principle
The WindPorts offers you numerous unique advantages:
- Simple concept and ease of construction, reliable and performing, rapid mounting, without the need of a large crane.
- Can be installed on several rooftops.
- Modular concept from 5 to 20 kW and more upon request, without increasing the base square footage.
- Can withstand winds of 200 km/h when standard propeller units must be stopped at winds of 70 km/h.
- Absolutely noise free and without vibrations.
- Minimal required maintenance.
- Highest efficiency due to the shape of the vanes (its shape and the rotating movement around an vertical axis allows for a better usage of the wind, for a much longer period). The WindPorts captures all 3 vectors of the wind when conventional windmills only capture one. This allows increasing the performance very dramatically.
- Winds of only 6.5 km/h are required to start the WindPorts, compared to 17 - 20 KPH for conventional windmills.
- Installation is usually complete within 1 (one) day.
- The WindPorts does not require a mechanical braking system to protect it from high winds, as do conventional windmills. (Most other windmills have to be deflected away from high winds - they actually stop working at the most opportune - or inopportune - time) .
- The WindPorts is made of fibreglass, aluminium, stainless steel, and PVC, making it extremely resistant to corrosion and UV rays.
- The WindPorts has a lifespan of 30 years.
The WindPorts performances :
Download our technical document Power curve
( Acrobat Reader software needed to view this document )